Waterpark Rugby Football Club

Founded 1925

Match Report

Gleeson League Section B
Round: Round 5
Team: Waterpark (21)
Opponent: Waterford City (6)
Venue: City
Date/Time: 19-11-2016 14:30

Match Report
With the 1st. XV on a free weekend the spotlight was on the Park 2nd XV who maintained their good run in this competition with a victory over old rivals Waterford City in this local derby match played in Kilbarry on Saturday last and now stand as joint leaders on sixteen points in their section with two games in hand.
Park were quick into their stride and enjoyed the bulk of possession in the early stages and after a few minutes were on the scoreboard through a penalty by out half Daniel Grandjean. The same player again split the posts to make it 0 – 6 five minutes later with another penalty and on fifteen minutes a great run by number eight, Jack Tully, from inside his own half up to the City twentytwo, where he offloaded to the supporting Denis Kelly, saw the winger just stopped under the posts but with the wrong option being taken by Park, City were able to clear their lines.
At this point the home side began to come more into the game and up to the half hour mark had the lion’s share of possession and territory, during which their out half Aaron Foskin leveled matters at 6 - 6 with a drop goal on twenty minutes, followed by a penalty ten minutes later. Also during this period Park lost centre, Damien O’Dwyer to a Yellow Card. However the visitor’s were back in front at 6 - 13 after only two minutes when scrum half, Danny O’Driscoll,broke through the City defence to cross under the posts for a try which Grandjean easily converted. Just on the forty minute mark and the City hooker in the Bin with another Yellow Card, the outhalf slotted another penalty to leave the score at the break 6 – 16 to Park.
On fiftyfive minutes the home side had an opportunity to reduce the deficit but Foskin was wide with a penalty from a kickable position. As in the first half City again had the upper hand in the possession and territory stakes for a lengthy period but were unable to put any meaningful moves together and transfer this superiority into points and on sixtyfive minutes a sweeping move by Park from halfway brought them inside the home side’s twentytwo where frantic defence by City saw Foskin pick up the third Yellow Card of the game for killing the ball. Park opted for a scrum and with the ball flashed across the backs, scrum half, John Flynn, was on hand to dive over for the try to put fifteen points between the side’s at 6 -21 and finish off any hope that the home side had of taking anything from this game.