Waterpark Rugby Football Club

Founded 1925

Match Report

Munster Junior League Division 2
Round: Round 5
Team: Waterpark (51)
Opponent: Tralee RFC (10)
Venue: Tralee
Date/Time: 06-11-2016 14:30

Match Report
WATERPARK RUGBY Report by Junior Drohan




Waterpark made the long journey to Co.Kerry to take on Tralee a very fruitful one when they inflicted a heavy defeat on the home side by 10 – 51. They crossed the Tralee line on no fewer than nine occasions with a comprehensive display of running rugby coupled by excellent scrummaging by a dominant pack in which number eight David O’Donoghue (pictured below) excelled. Even though Tralee were rooted to the bottom of the League, Park took nothing for granted and approached this game as if it were a top of the table affair. This attitude payed off in spades as the bonus point was already in the bag before the half time whistle sounded and with the pressure off the visitor’s showed after the break how lethal they are with good possession.

Park signified their intent as early as the seventh minute when after they were awarded a penalty in front of the posts thirty metres out they decided to tap and go which resulted in Rory Hannon bursting through tackles to offload to Vinny Molloy who crossed for the opening try which out half, John O’Brien, converted. Straight from a poor restart Park elected for a scrum on the halfway line and a break on the blind side by Alex Molloy followed by an inside pass to the supporting O’Donoghue saw the number eight go over between the posts for the second try which O’Brien again converted to leave the score at 0 – 14. Tralee pulled back three points with a penalty by their full back, Darragh O’Neill after twelve minutes but within five minutes the visitor’s had notched up their third try after winger, Ivan Kiersey, touched down after a lovely chip ahead by O’Brien, to increase the gap to 3-19. To their credit the home side came back with sustained pressure to test the mettle of the Park defence for nearly for nearly fifteen minutes, but again they stood firm as they have been doing so far throughout this League to keep their line intact. Just before the break Park managed to lift the siege and work their way upfield for centre, Paddy Kiersey (pictured below) to register the bonus point try and leave the score at halftime 3-24 to the visitors.

Five minutes into the second period Park picked up from where they had left off before the break with almost a carbon copy of their second try after Alex Molloy and O’Donoghue again combined from a scrum on half way for O’Donoghue to cross for his second try and push the margin out to 3-29. From this point it was all one way traffic and on fifty minutes a lovely move in the centre of the field saw Paddy Kiersey power through a hapless Tralee defence to go over under the posts for his second and his sides sixth try and leave O’Brien with an easy conversion. 3-36 to Park. Within five minutes Park had hit the home side with two further tries courtesy of O’Brien and Scott Hornibrook to increase the deficit to 3-46 and on sixtyfive minutes the Park total was completed with a wonderful individual try from inside his own half by Alex Molloy who left defenders trailing in his wake on his way to clocking up his sides ninth try. The home side did manage to cross the Park line with a late late try by their captain, Ronan O’Sullivan which was converted by centre, Jack Quilter with the last play of the game and leave the final score at 10-51 to Park.

Stephen Chandler and Conor Horan join forces in the tackle.