Waterpark Rugby Football Club

Founded 1925

Match Report

Munster Junior League Division 2
Round: Round 2
Team: Waterpark (15)
Opponent: Thurles RFC (7)
Venue: Balinakill
Date/Time: 02-10-2016 14:30

Match Report
WATERPARK RUGBY Reporter ; Junior Drohan             MATCH PHOTOS  Alex Tully & Ruairi O''Dwyer




Waterpark registered their second consecutive win in this League at a sun drenched Ballinakill on Sunday last by virtue of a 15-7 defeat of Co.Tipperary side Thurles, but it has to be said that it was a far cry from the slick performance served up by this team in Castleisland the previous week. To a certain extent you could use the old cliché of "a game of two halves” but to see the home side slide from a very competent display in the first half, after which they led 15 – 0, to the complete opposite for the second was very hard to fathom. To be honest the second half was an utter shambles for the majority of the time, with ball not going to hand through sloppy passing, lineout’s all over the place, players taking ball into contact on several occasions with a glaring overlap outside to be used to clock up scores etc., etc.
In saying the above I have to admit that the introduction of uncontested scrums on the hour mark by Thurles, due to injury to their prop forwards, did the home side no favours, as at this stage they were totally dominant in this sector and were launching several promising attacks from the base of same. They totally lost their shape and this is something that they will have to iron out as there are a couple of tough games on the horizon in the next few weeks. However Park may look back on this display and rue the missed chances that were created to register a second bonus point especially when the opposition were down to thirteen players through Yellow Cards.
Park opted to play with the breeze in the first half and should have opened the scoring as early as the third minute, when a three on one overlap, which would have yielded a try, was scorned. On fifteen minutes they did get the try when after a tremendous penalty kick from out half, John O’Brien, was fumbled by the Thurles full back, Tommy Stephens, Park winger James Kiersey was on hand to apply the pressure from which Park were awarded a scrum five metres out, from which they drove the Thurles pack backwards and over the try line for flanker, David O’Donoghue, to get the touchdown. 0 – 5 to Park. Seven minutes later a wonderful break by scrum half, Vinny Molloy, took play from inside the Park ten metre line to within fifteen metres of the visitors line and from an ensuing lineout a well executed move from the back of the lineout saw Park lock, Jeff Power, crash over under the posts for the second try. Kiersey added the extras to push the score out to 12-0 to the home side. On thirtyfive minutes a piece of magic by Park full back, Alex Molloy, saw him break from inside his own twentytwo and embark on a run which took him well into Thurles territory leaving some bewildered Tipp men in his wake after which he offloaded to O’Brien who was felled as a result of a high tackle by the visitors centre, Shane Moloney, who received the Card Bui from the referee and from the resultant penalty, Kiersey again split the posts to increase the margin to 15-0 which stood until halftime.
Throughout this first half the home side were dominant in all facets of play but after the turnaround as already stated the bottom fell out of their plans. The one good thing to emerge from the second half was that their defence is still capable of withstanding any pressure that is put on them, to such an extent that it took Thurles until injury time to register any kind of points in this game after their substitute, Peter Conan crossed for their try , which ex-Park player, John Lillis, converted with virtually the last kick of the game to leave the final score 15-7 to the home side.
Despite the above there are always positives to be taken from a game no matter how good or bad you play and listening to both the Coaches and players afterwards a huge positive as far as I would be concerned, is that to a man all the players held up their hands and admitted their mistakes and that the second half performance was not good enough and must be addressed immediately. Wise heads on young shoulders I would venture to suggest. We now lie in second place in our league on points difference, a position we haven’t been in for many a year, and I have no doubt that it will take a big effort by all concerned over the season to maintain our place and push on for promotion.
Next weekend Park travel to Limerick on Sunday to take on St.Mary’s who also made the drop from Division 1 at the end of last season. Another tough assignment in the offing.

Our under 14’s travelled to Cobh on Saturday last to take part in a Blitz Tournament and after a great day’s rugby came away with two wins and two losses from four games. The wins were gained over Fermoy (twice) and the losses were against the host club Cobh and Youghal. Well done to all the guys on your first outing of the season.