Waterpark Rugby Football Club

Founded 1925

Match Report

Munster Junior League Division 2
Round: Round 4
Team: Waterpark (15)
Opponent: Waterford City (3)
Venue: Ballinakill
Date/Time: 23-10-2016 14:30

Match Report
WATERPARK RUGBY…………………… Reporter : Junior Drohan




After a comprehensive victory over Waterford City earlier in the season in the Garryowen Cup, Waterpark went on to complete the double in Ballinakill on Sunday last by 15 – 3 in this Munster Junior League Division 2 encounter and in doing so retain their position as joint leaders together with Youghal at the top of this league.
This was a typical local derby, a match that had all kinds of everything. Some very exciting rugby, some very mediocre rugby, topped off by a referee who literally lost the run of himself with constant interruptions with the whistle and the needless issuing of no fewer than seven cards, four yellow to the home side and two yellow and a red to the visitor’s and all this in a game, as far as a local derby is concerned, was a pretty tame affair with little or nothing untoward happening or any dangerous play throughout the entire eighty minutes plus the fifteen minutes of stoppage time that the ref saw fit to add on.
Prior to the commencement of the game both teams and supporters alike observed a minute’s silence as a mark of respect to the late Anthony Foley R.I.P..

City started with the stiff breeze at their backs and whilst they applied some pressure to the home side, their defence stood firm and all attacks were dealt with outside the twentytwo. On ten minutes a crunching tackle by Park flanker, David O’Donoghue, resulted in the City player spilling the ball forward which allowed winger, Scott Hornibrook gather and break through several tackles and race upfield only to be taken down just inside the City twentytwo from which the visitor’s were penalized but unfortunately out half, John O’Brien, just shaved the posts with a difficult kick into the wind. Until the half hour mark all the play was confined to between both twentytwo’s and it was at this time that City took the only scoring chance that had come their way up to this point when scrum half, Michael Hayes, slotted a penalty to put his side ahead at 0 -3. On the forty minute mark, Park’s O’Brien was unlucky not to level matters when his well struck penalty came back off the posts. However in injury time at the end of the half a lovely break by O’Brien followed by a wonderful floated pass to centre, Emmett O’Shea, who in turn exchanged passes with full back Paddy Kiersey ended with the Number 15 crossing in the corner for Park’s opening try and the score at 5-3 at the break.

Into to the second period and with the breeze at their backs the home side took control of affairs and it was no surprise that they increased their lead after only ten minutes when from a lovely move off the back of a scrum fifteen metres out, Number 8, David Pierce, fed scrum half, Connor Molloy, who outstripped the City defence, to send Hornibrook over in the corner and with O’Brien successful with the conversion the score stood at 12-3 to Park. For the next thirty minutes the home side looked the more dangerous and were putting some nice attacking moves together but unfortunately with some sloppy passing and incorrect decision making they left a few tries behind. An injury time penalty by O’Brien pushed the margin out to 15-3 and put paid to any hope of victory for City but with the clock still ticking over the ten minute stoppage time they did manage to launch one last effort to cross the Park line but again it was repelled by this well drilled Park outfit who now have the mantle of the meanest defence in the League with only twentythree points conceded in their four league fixtures to date.
As there are no fixtures next weekend the next League game involves a long journey back to the Kingdom to take on Tralee. This takes place on Sunday 6th. November.