Waterpark Rugby Football Club

Founded 1925

News Articles from Waterpark RFC

Ireland Clubs U18's beaten by France

Ireland Club U18   13-19   France U18

Played in beautiful sunny conditions in St Marys RFC in Dublin, it was the travelling French side that had the better opening. They took the lead four minutes in when hooker Loick Jammes drove over the line on the right for a try converted by out-half Yoan Le Bourhis. Pressure by Ireland in the opposition half led to a penalty outside the 22, which was slotted over Ireland's Fergal Cleary. A 12th minute drop goal by Le Bourhis restored France's seven-point lead. On 17 minutes, Dungarvan winger Seamus Keating drove over on the left following a sweeping move across the back-line which included some great support play by Waterparks Jack O'Donoghue.  Cleary missed the subsequent conversion attempt from out wide, but Ireland were growing in confidence.

Ireland's pressure told towards the end of the half, when they got a second try through second row John Madigan after some good mauling on the right. Unfortunately Cleary came up short once more with the conversion. France also missed a late penalty, which left Ireland with a three-point advantage (13-10) at the end of the half.

The second half was a more low key affair with France very much on the top in the possession stakes. It only took France two minutes to draw level, as Le Bourhis kicked a close range penalty. He was wide with a 30-metre penalty from the left soon after, but further pressure from the French pack led to another kick in the 51st minute which Le Bourhis converted to give the French a 16-13 lead. Ireland found it hard to create any in-roads against the French, but a late penalty by France's Adrien Bau gave them a more comfortable cushion with full-time looming. Ireland tried hard in the final minutes but they were unable to add to their tally and the French held on 19-13 for the win.

Park's Jack O'Donoghue led from the front as Captain with numerous carries during the game as well as putting in some great tackles. In a ceremony after the game Jack was presented with his Ireland 'cap' by IRFU President John Hussey and he was supported by the large contingent of family, friends and members of Waterpark who travelled on the day.