Waterpark Rugby Football Club

Founded 1925

News Articles from Waterpark RFC

Match Reports





Deep into injurytime and Park ahead at 19 – 17 a very dubious penalty award to the visitors allowed their scrum half, Richie Walsh to split the posts with the very last kick of the game and earn Bandon the points in this keenly fought Munster Junior Division 1 tie in Ballinakill on Sunday last.

To be honest the home side were the authors of their own misfortune as time and time again poor decision making, handling errors and lack of discipline in good attacking situations, allowed the visitors off the hook on several occasions. However these are things that can be rectified and if the team can get some cohesion in the backline, their strong pack of forwards are well able to provide a platform from which to attack the opposition.

Park started the game in a good frame of mind and had registered their first try when after some consistent forward pressure, Eoin OConnor drove over close to the posts to put Park in the lead at 5-0. Unfortunately Geoff Deegan was wide with the conversion. The visitors pulled back three points within two minutes with a penalty by Walsh. On twentyfive minutes a wayward kick out of defence allowed Bandon to counter attack which culminated in their full back Olan Crowley crossing for a well worked try. Walsh missed the conversion to leave the score at 5-8 in Bandon’s favour. Just on the stroke of halftime, another indiscretion by Park saw Walsh slot over a further penalty and push the score out to 5-11 at the break.

Ten minutes into the second period after serious pressure applied by Park at consecutive scrums the referee had no alternative but to go between the posts and award the home side a penalty try which Deegan converted to put his side ahead at 12-11. Surprisingly enough after this onslaught by Park the Bandon props developed seperate injuries within a five minute period, which resulted in uncontested scrums for the remainder of the game. Between the fiftysecond and sixtyfifth minutes two further penalties by Walsh had his side in the lead again at 12-17. With five minutes remaining a lovely move from the base of the scrum saw Park centre Scott Hornibrook take the ball at full tilt to split the Bandon defence and touch down just to the left of the posts. Deegan added the extras and Park back in the lead at 19-17. However a win was not to be and Walsh again slotted a penalty with the final kick of the game deep into additional time to seal Park’s fate.



After only a minute, a blistering start by Park in this Munster Under 18 Conference League saw out-half Alex Molloy take a lovely offload by Dev Murphy to outstrip the visitors defence and run in under the posts for the first try of the game which he himself converted to leave the home side ahead by 7 – 0.

To all present it was logical to assume that Park would kick on and stamp their superiority on the game, but in actual fact it was the reverse that occurred and some very sloppy play allowed the visitors to assume control and keep Park pinned inside their own half for the greater part of the first period. Old Christians missed a gilt edged chance to register points when their number 10 was wide with a very kickable penalty on ten minutes and for the next fifteen minutes only some excellent defence by Park kept them from crossing the try line. However the home side did eventually get their act together just coming up to the break when a great individual effort by Molloy saw him leave several Christians players in his wake to go over under the posts for his second try of the game to which he again added the extras to leave the score at 14-0 to Park. In injury time Park registered another converted try through full back David Dawson, who took an inside pass from Molloy to cross just to the left of the posts. Molloy was again successful with the conversion and at the half time whistle the score stood at 21-0.

Park started the second period in the same fashion as the first and after only four minutes a great drive from lock,Jack Nolan, saw him barge over from close in to register Park’s fourth try and Molloy added the extras to push the score out to 28-0. Six minutes later the try count had reached five when after a lovely handling movement which saw play switching from left to right, replacement Harry Donnelly was on hand to touch down in the corner and a wonderful sideline conversion from Molloy stretched the home team’s advantage to 35-0.

With five minutes remaining the icing was put on the cake with a gem of a try when after a lineout steal by Park inside their own twentytwo, some great interaction between the back’s and forward’s saw them sweep down the length of the pitch forMolloy to go over for his third try and cap a great individual performance. The conversion was a formality and Park ran out easy winners at 42-0.

I have no doubt that these guys will qualify for the business end of this league, and allowing for the fact that they are a quality outfit and possess a strong panel of players, the sloppy play that was prevelent during the first period will be severely punished by a more competent opposition which they are bound to encounter as the league progresses.



Despite being short several of their regular players due to a Scouting weekend, Park put up a very good performance against County Tipperary side Clonmel in this East Munster League fixture played in Ballinakill on Sunday morning last but unfortunately ended up on the wrong side of a 14-19 scoreline.

At one stage during this game the visitors were ahead by 0-14 but Park stuck to their task and Garvan Blair crossed for the first try which Ely Cullen converted to pull back seven points at 7-14. A further try by Clonmel put twelve points between the sides but again Park fought back and a lovely grubber kick byCullen was picked up in great style by Colin Scanlon to go over for Park’s second which Cullen also converted. Unfortunately with Park full of running time ran out to leave the final score at 14-19 to Clonmel.